b.com logo  Booking.com Award​​

dkflag​  de

History of our house

Throughout the ages, 3 Vestergade has been used for several purposes. In the late 19th century, basket maker Kirsten Marie Terkelsen sold dolls' and baby prams here. She lived on the first floor of the house in those days. The first and second floors were later converted into a boarding house/rental rooms. ​

After antique dealer Eckhart Druse purchased the property in the 1920s, No. 3 became a dairy and a soap shop was opened in the adjoining property (today the Tourist Office).

In 1929 the ground floor obtained a restaurant licence (see the panels under the timber frame) and Centralcaféen first saw the light of day. With the rooms upstairs it was now the "local hotel in town".​

Eckhart Druse raised the back building (now The Green House) from where he ran his antique business.

This house was mainly constructed of medieval bricks that Eckhart Druse obtained from the rebuilding of the corner property Brogade/Torvet.

In 1962, Eckhart Druse bequeathed No. 1, 3 and the villa in the backyard to Køge Municipality with the proviso that operating profits are to be given as scholarships to Køge High School.

Rebuildings have taken place later, probably several times. And in 2013, the property was given a major lift with a total replacement of the over 100-year-old floor construction on the ground floor.

After the most comprehensive rebuilding of 3 Vestergade in this century, the ground floor appears today more elegant than ever before.​

​​

Centralhotellet  -  Vestergade 3, 4600 Køge ​  -    facebookikon  Follow us on Facebook  -  Telephone: 5665 0696  -  E-mail: info@centralhotellet.dk​  -  CVR: 34935238  -  

How to find us